Monday, September 20, 2004

It rained

On my way home on Friday night it rained. No, you don’t understand: IT RAINED! Like a swimming pool dropping onto the freeway. I thought the windscreen was going to cave-in. Four-by-four’s aquaplaned along the road at sixty, whilst I hugged the steering wheel in the slow lane for dear life. Apparently this is by no means uncommon.

So far the weather has been pretty good; always a couple of degrees warmer than London and sunny more often than not. But I’m told November is a different story. I will learn why grunge was born in the Pacific Northwest.

Work is going to be OK I think – am still finding my feet, but so far so good. Need to find a way to get more exercise though: no sports teams at the office and no daily cycle ride + Richard = fat bastard quite soon no doubt. Although at least when I do have that coronary I’ve got private healthcare.

Rachel and I spent the weekend looking at houses. We even put an offer in on one, but they weren’t interested in our money. Nice to see the kind of market we’re in though: we’re going to be able to afford a fairly big house for our money. On the checklist: hot tub, front porch, large kitchen and – if I’m really lucky – enough room in the basement for a pool table…

Rachel and I both passed our driving theory tests last week, so just an actual driving test to pass and we’ll have our Oregon licenses. I also have a green card (not actually green, which is a bit of a disappointment, though it has a data strip on the back of sufficient dimensions to contain my entire life history + every website I’ve ever visited + a tracking device), a social security number and a bank account, all of which probably sounds quite trivial but has in fact been a royal pain to collate. So, I’m nearly sorted…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home