Saturday, June 24, 2006

The road to Hillsboro

So I expect you're all wondering exactly what my morning commute is like. It was definitely worth waiting for summer to shoot this as, you know, it's daylight an' all.


Having succesfully leveraged myself out of bed, consumed a lemon burst yoplait, a glass of orange juice and a multivitamin, I find myself cycling down through the 'hood around 7.05am. Fortunately it's all downhill for 20 blocks (1 mile). Looks like I'm around Salmon and 27th here. In Sim City terms this is medium density residential.


As we approach the river, I find myself in an area clearly zoned for light industrial usage.

Here's the start of Hawthorne Bridge, although at this point it's just a flyover over the last ten blocks or so of land before the river. Downtown sits at the far end.


On the bridge proper. I reckon the Williamette looks about as wide as the Thames through London at this point. Observe the counterweights perched high and to the left - yes, a section of this bridge can be raised when "da borts com in"

Sometimes on Friday you can grab a free doughnut and cup of joe in return for your individual effort to save the world from global warming (or save yourself from buying a miata, to look at it another way). One day I even ended up on "Bike TV". I actually thought this was a joke until someone at work mentioned they saw me on it.



Sometimes, if there are no cops about, I do a bit of off road through this charming square. It saves me a light and makes me feel like a rebel. High density commercial, by the way.


Here comes the MAX, and the bunfight to locate the last available bike hook. 7.25am.


When it's not raining I get off the MAX a stop early and bike along the back streets to HQ. This bit of hillsboro feels like it been here a while. About 8am.


Luckily school's out for summer, else they'd be a gaggle of teenage girls in this shot. If that's not a problem for you, bear in mind that taking such a photo from a bicycle whilst in possession of a "faggy" accent is still technically hanging crime in Hillsboro. I was trying to recall if there was ever a time that I wasn't frightened of teenage girls, and I've decided that there wasn't.


Over the main road we find ourselves in toytown, technically Orenco, a new Hillsboro suburb and possible apotheosis of the American dream. If Intel ever goes bust, this place will be nought but tumblin' tumbleweeds.


A fashionably late 8.15am and, it's work done for the morning, my bike gets to live it up in this purpose built rack for the next ten hours. Life of Riley.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a nice (and largely flat..)journey. No more slogging up School Hill, inhaling diesel fumes from the bus in front. Trust that once Baby Fluffy arrives you will be adding a child seat/kiddy cranks to your trusty steed.

You can relieve your moment of fame at http://homepage.mac.com/trorb/BikeTV/iMovieTheater142.html(needs QuickTime). Slightly perturbed by this New World trend for wearing headgear under cycling helmets, and hope you have not succumbed - unless your cap is of the tweed variety.

June 26, 2006  
Blogger Richard Tammar said...

yes, largely flat as the MAX tunnels beneath the otherwise off-putting 1000 feet of elevation known as the West Hills. I must admit that on exceptionally cold days I do wear a hat under my cycling helmet. No danger of that this week - the temparature today will exceed 100 degrees. Rachel is taking air-conditioned refuge in Lake Oswego.

June 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home